The agenda for this user group session was to see how we can improve your user experience with MasterCare PAS and see how we can shape MasterCare+ going into the future.
We have discussed hospital accreditation requirements regarding Digital Electronic Discharge Summaries and My Health Record, MasterCare+ roadmap and a MasterCare+ demo.
Please find attached the MasterCare deck and the topics discussed below:
Hospital Accreditation Requirements
Version 2 of the NSQHS (National Safety and Quality Health Service standards)
All health service organisations to have completed a gap analysis by Dec 2019 that identified what was not being complied with in terms of:
- the requirements for the secure operation of My Health Record system
- the relevant policies and procedures and
- guidelines relating to the implementation
By Dec 2021, a detailed plan must be in place to comply
The applicable standards are:
Standard 1 – Clinical Governance (clause 1.17 – HealthCare Records)
Standard 6 – Communicating for Safety (clause 6.4, 6.7, 6.8, 6.9 and 6.10)
Standard 4 – Medication Safety Standard 9 (clause 4.5, 4.6 and 4.12)
Electronic Discharge Summary
This must be compatible to be uploaded to My Health Record i.e. it is a requirement of each facility to have an electronic discharge summary.
It is the hospital’s responsibility when a patient discharges from the facilities to communicate an electronic clinical handover (that meets Standard 6 – Communication for Safety) to the next entity responsible for the patient’s care whether that be a GP, Residential Aged Care Facility or other hospital.
The discharge summary must:
- be multidisciplinary
- contain the following details:
- Reason for Admission
- Attending Dr
- Multidisciplinary care given
- Plan of ongoing care
- Medications admitted on
- Medications discharges on
- If any differences between v) and vi), reasons noted
- Risks e.g. infection status (MRO etc.), falls, pressure care, cognition, mental wellbeing
- Cultural sensitivities
Arcadia Pittwater Private Hospital has been using the MasterCare + online Discharge Summary for approximately 12 months whilst in its early development phase. Arcadia has paper based medical records, so this was a great step forward for us in terms of the quality and legibility of the Discharge Summary.
It is an evolving product and we have been working with Global Health providing feedback on what we would like to see in future releases and are looking forward to seeing the new version in February 2021.
Conformance with national digital health requirements – this relates to My Health Record Rules 2016 Part 5
All software developers must declare the conformance of their products to be included in the Register of Conformity. Versions of software are assessed for the ability to view a My Health Record, upload a shared health summary, upload prescriptions, provide assisted registration etc.
You can track on this register and their current progress at the following website
What is our next generation of healthcare software going to look like?
- Putting the patient in the center the healthcare system, streamlining the patient journey and optimising their healthcare experience. A secure and easy transfer of data between care providers allows them to access as much information as they can prior to seeing the patient. This ensures quality continuity of care. Connectivity between sectors is key to streamlining the patient journey.
- MasterCare+ is a device independent web-based SaaS platform.
- MasterCare+ is integrated with ReferralNet SMD which is one of four platforms that are compliant with the ADHA secure messaging protocol.
- The existing billing in MasterCare PAS will be retired in March 2022, everyone has to use web services for billing.
- MasterCare+ is hosted in Azure Sydney (a Medicare approved data center) in preparation for billing services. MasterCare PAS can be hosted where it is now (on-prem or with Global Health etc.).
- MasterCare+ is a modular platform that can be bundled together to create a package to suit each business’s needs. It is open to third party developed specialty modules that conform with the MasterCare+ rules of looks, security, how it works, data storage and interoperability.
- You currently can use MasterCare+ alongside your MasterCare PAS with FHIR integration.
MasterCare+ 3-year roadmap:
- MasterCare+ and PAS database synchronising rolled out
- Clinical Notes, inbound referrals, CDA Discharge Summary
- My Health Record functionality
- ePrescribing Pathology Orders and Results
- Radiology Orders and Results using Secure Messaging
2022 - Dedicated M+ Hospital Engineering team established to migrate core MasterCare PAS functionality to MasterCare+
- Admission, Transfers & Separations
- Bed Management
- Theatre Management
- Medical Record Management (coding)
- Billing, receipting & accounting system integration
2023 onwards - Progressively migrate roles from MasterCare PAS to MasterCare+
- Front Desk
MasterCare+ key features:
- Patient administration: capture client/patient data, rosters and appointments, 2-Way SMS
- Clinical management: customisable templates, storing digital and scanned documents, outcome measures, episodes of care, encounters, uploading and viewing My Health Record
- Secure Messaging: confidentially exchange clinical documents with other ReferralNet and Argus users
Learn more about MasterCare+ for Discharge Summaries here
Questions and Answers
Q. Will the stand MasterCare PAS be available until 2023?
A. Yes, it will be available beyond that. The plan is to move clients over to MasterCare+ over time. MasterCare PAS will not be removed until all the functionalities of MasterCare PAS is available in MasterCare+.
Q: Is there a plan to migrate your existing MasterCare PAS data to MasterCare+?
A: It is currently happening now and can be done via FHIR integration
Q. Will you still do modifications and government requirements to MasterCare PAS?
A.Government regulations, state reporting and billing etc. will still be done. Over time, the functionalities of PAS will be moved to MasterCare+ with better usability and user experience.
Q. Will there be GL integrations with MasterCare+
A. We are working on the integration with the common GL packages out there such as XERO, MYOB with published APIs.
Q. Are decision points auditable when a doctor overrides a warning when prescribing in MasterCare+
A. It is not currently auditable when someone overrides a warning but It will audit who and when prescribed the medication.
Q. Do you have to type the medications into the clinical document yourself?
A. Demographics and medications are added to the clinical document using bookmarks (merge fields) from the client/patient’s record.
Q. If our current paper-based discharge summary complies, can we scan and upload them to My Health Record?
A. No, it needs to be generated and created online complying to My Health Record’s requirements.
Q. Will MasterCare+ be able to cope with negative ERAs? Arcadia has one fund that will have a negative on the ERA so we have to manually enter it.
A. Not currently. We can try to automate parts of the process by trying to create an automatic adjustment in the backend so clients can allocate the ERA, process it automatically and then manually do the rest of the adjustment.
Next proposed MasterCare User Group for Hospitals
Wednesday February 3rd 2020
View the whole meeting here: